Tomorrow my baby Hudson officially graduates from the terrible two’s to the amazing threenager I know he will be. It’s a little bittersweet for me- I always have a hard time with my kids birthdays but this one feels different because I KNOW I am done having children and this is the last day I will have a two year old- EVER. Hudson has been the definition of terrible two’s- a stage I thought people made up when Chandler was two because he was great. But is this just the case of “the second child” that we all hear about AFTER we decide to have a second child? Maybe.
- He doesn’t sleep well. This kid is the lightest sleeper and this was a big change going from Chandler who would sleep 12 hours every night and still take a 3 hour nap if we let him. Not Hudson though, bedtime is -I need juice, one more song, in and out of bed, opening his window in his room, and most recently he told me he would give me a treat if I slept with him- Okay, so I laughed and my heart skipped some beats when he said that with his cute little voice- but seriously kid- GO TO BED! Once he falls asleep he is up 5:45-6 every morning. Never fails- he is always awake and walking around when I get home from my workout or run in the morning. Which leads me to my second point….
- Things he has done since we put him in a normal bed: A. Climbed to the top of the pantry and came in at 4 am eating muffins. B. Took a whole bottle of powder and exploded it around his room. C. Comes down to our room multiple times at night and sleeps in between my legs like a cat. D. Prepare yourself- he did the whole mass murder bedroom smear his poo everywhere on a Tuesday morning….oh and one time he took a poo in his toy box. SOOO YEAH! I think these things have passed now, I HOPE!
- This kid has a temper. He wants your focus ALL the time- most of this is focused on Chandler. Luckily Chan is a pretty good big brother and does play with Hudson but if he doesn’t- watch out Chan you might get a toy thrown in your face or your 3DS game flushed down the toilet. It’s changed the whole dynamic of Chandler too because he has to fight more which was never his personality. It’s amazing how a 6 year old can fear a 2 year old.
- I’m in constant fear that he is going to seriously injure himself because fear is just not in his vocabulary.
So I gave you the bad first. When you make the decision to have a second child you think “ahh I’ve got this, should be easy, I’ve already done it once”. Chandler was almost 4 when we had Hudson so we really thought we were experienced. The second child changes everything! The whole dynamic of your family changes and your first child who may have been close to perfect like my first child turns into someone else because now they are competing and also have someone else they can get in trouble. Everyone tells you a baby will change your life but nobody tells you how the second child changes your life. It’s simply put-exhausting every day.
Would I change it??? OOOOOOHHHH NO! Because he completed me- he completed our family. He made me whole and I didn’t even know I was missing that in my life.
So here are some of the AMAZING things about Hudson:
- I don’t know a kid with a bigger heart. He loves SO much it’s hard to be mad at him for the above mentioned things because in the same moment he will tell you “you are his best buddy” or just out of the blue he will tell me he likes my hair or sing me a sweet song.
- I’ve never got a better hug in my life than from Hudson. Every day. When I see him for the first time in the morning he runs and jumps in my arms. When I see him after work he does the same usually with some loving comment.
- He loves his brother. He is obsessed with Chandler and when they play together nicely it’s a magical thing for this Mom to see. Chandler has even commented on the fact that he is so glad he has a brother to play with and this past year this really came to life as Hudson started really talking and playing more.
- He loves to dance. Seriously, when we are anywhere and music comes on, he is up and moving.
- His personality is witty and funny. He does and says the funniest things, his sense of humor is great for a 2 year old and his laugh is contagious.
- He is mine- he is a little bit more like me. Ok, a lot a bit more like me. He is my baby boy. (Not that Chan is not- but Chandler is a little Justin- let’s face it).
I always had my money on Chandler doing big things because Chandler is my smart little child who would rather go to after school math clubs than play a sport right now. However, Hudson has a driven and motivated spirit that I think is tough right now on us but will pay off in the future.
So yes, the second child gets a bad rep but from my point of view it makes them stronger individuals in the long run.
Tonight I will spend 45 minutes putting to bed a two year old for the last time(I’m crying as I type this) and tomorrow I will welcome a new year of adventure, probably some attitude, and growing opinion of a three year old. Hudson completed me on 5-18-14 and I’m so in love with him it hurts me sometimes because I never thought I could love someone like I loved Chandler but love multiplies and doesn’t divide. I am so lucky to have 2 very different healthy boys that are growing up to have individual and amazing personalities.
Here’s to 3…and maybe a little less craziness. (Who am I kidding, I have boys- they will always be CRAZY).